Feb 9, 2011

The Path of Wisdom

"Doth not wisdom cry?...by the way in the places of the paths"  (Proverbs 8:1,2)(ASV)

We all need wisdom. Wisdom to know right from wrong, and to choose what we know is right over that which we know is wrong. The following devotional, by Rev. Roger J. Andrus, touches on how wisdom calls us, rewards us and blesses us when we heed its instructions.

The Path of Wisdom

The places of  the paths is where paths meet, i.e., crossroads. This is a figure for decision. When we are standing at the crossroads, decision is not only possible; it is necessary. More than one path is available. We can go this way or that. Without this choice we would be impersonal automatons. If we cannot disobey, we cannot obey. If we cannot intelligently and knowingly reject the wrong path, we cannot intelligently and knowingly elect the right one.

So, Wisdom calls (Proverbs 8:1-10) at the places of the paths. At the time when we must make a decision, Wisdom calls to us from the right path and to that right path. She cries:

"Understand wisdom"
"Be of an understanding heart"
"Hear"
"Receive my instruction...and knowledge"

And, Wisdom rewards (Proverbs 8:11-21) those who choose the right path:

"For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it."
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
"My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver."
"That may I cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures."

Also, Wisdom blesses (Proverbs 8:32-36), i.e., makes fully happy, those who reap her riches.

"Blessed are they that keep my ways."
"Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates."
"For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD,"

Dear God, help all who read this to choose Christ. Amen!

Singing His Praises,
Joey Culpepper

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)