Jan 25, 2011

The Model Servant

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45)


I just returned from praise band rehearsal where we sang the praise chorus "Make Me a Servant" by Kelly Willard. You may remember the lyrics:


Make me a servant, humble and meek. 
Lord help me lift up those who are weak.
And may the prayer of my heart always be:
Make me a servant, make me a servant,
Make me a servant today.


When I got home I realized to my surprise that my devotional for today was also about service. It served as a simple reminder to me that my Lord Himself was the perfect example of a servant. He served His disciples by washing their feet, served food to the hungry masses by miraculously multiplying the bread and fish, healed the sick and diseased, brought the dead back to life, and served all mankind by becoming the ultimate sacrifice for all sin thereby purchasing your salvation and mine. 


This devotional by Dr. N. A. Woychuk, focuses on another servant, the unnamed servant of Abraham. Let's see what lessons we can learn from him.


"And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way" (ASV)(Genesis 24:48)


The Model Servant


Abraham clings to the revelation of God concerning his seed, and determines to follow closely the Divine will. He placed his "eldest servant" under oath to secure a bride for Isaac from among his own people.


Abraham's unnamed servant illustrates beautifully the desirable qualities in true service and witnessing:


The servant is intelligent in his obedience. He wished to know what should be done under certain conditions that might develop (Gen. 24:5-9). God always welcomes inquiries as to His will (John 16:19).


The servant is looking to the Lord for directed opportunities and for grace to use them (Gen. 24:12-14). He recognizes the high significance of his errand, and earnestly seeks the face of God for success, not for himself, but "shew kindness unto my master Abraham." Later, he was not unmindful to recognize God's leading (Gen. 24:27), and to express his devotion and thanks (Gen. 24:26).


The servant is truly self-effacing, but loud in the praises of his master (24:34-49). "I am Abraham's servant"; don't be taken up with me! How needful that the witnesses today "exalt the Lord" and not attract attention to themselves!


The servant is minutely careful to advance the interests of his master (24:15-33). He is most courteous (24:17). He is cautious and patient (24:21) in ascertaining the Lord's leading. He is intensely in earnest about his mission: "I will not eat, until I have told mine errand" (24:33). O, that God's servants were always that fervent and diligent in "serving the Lord" (Rom. 12:6-16).


The servant gently presses for an immediate decision: "Hinder me not, seeing the Lord..."(24:56). And he rejoices in mission accomplished as he hears the bride say, "I will go." 


Is not all this an inspired picture of the calling out of the bride, the Church, for God's Son, our Savior? (Eph. 5:25-33).


Singing His Praises,
Joey Culpepper

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)