Aug 20, 2014

Open My Eyes That I May See



God calls us to employ all our senses as we strive to seek and serve him. We must keep our entire being--our bodies and our soul--tuned to God's every communication and prompting. In our busy lives we often miss the quiet promptings of God's Spirit. And when we do hear God speak, we often ignore the message. Clara Scott (1841-1897) calls us to watch and listen, and then to act on what we have seen and heard, sharing it with others.

Clara Scott was a music teacher who composed a great deal of instrumental and vocal music, including a book of anthems which was published in 1882. Her productive life of composing and teaching at the Women's Seminary in Lyons, Iowa, is evidence that her eyes and ears were open to God's leading, and that she was ready to share what God gave her. We should be ready to do the same.


Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key,
That shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!


(from the Praise and Worship Study Bible by Tyndale House Publishers)

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)