Feb 18, 2014

The Lord Stands By Us


No one will be able to stand their ground against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. (Joshua 1:5)(NLT)

As Joshua stood at the threshold of the Promised Land, God spoke to him: "I will not fail you or abandon you" (Joshua 1:5). Like a steadfast friend and a faithful father, the Lord promised to stand by Joshua as he took on the leadership of Israel. Just prior to the dawning of the church, this scene was repeated. Jesus' disciples were gathered on a mountain in Galilee, probably largely unaware of what challenges lay ahead now that Jesus was going to return to his Father. But Jesus assured them, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). Let us go forward with the great assurance that the Lord will always stand by us.

ALMIGHTY GOD, we praise you for the assurance that you are with us and will never fail us. We ask that the words you spoke to Joshua would be heard by all your people who feel lonely or fearful, including those in positions of leadership. Thank you, faithful Lord. Amen.


(from the Praise and Worship Study Bible-Tyndale House)


Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)