Feb 23, 2012

The Path of the Good Example




"My son...observe my ways." (Proverbs 23:26 ASV)


Enjoy this devotional about setting a godly example written by Rev. Roger J. Andrus:


The Path of the Good Example

Beginners, whether we are talking about children or new converts, should be learners and they need a good example.

The story is told of a man who loved mountain climbing. Each year when he took his vacation, he and his family would rent a high villa up on the Swiss Alps and he would enjoy the climb to the many scenic heights all around. One early morning, when he was already some distance on his chosen route and was rounding a particularly dangerous section of his climb, he was nearly paralyzed with fear as he heard the voice of his little boy behind him, who he thought was at home and fast asleep, say "Choose a safe path for your feet, Daddy, I'm right behind you."

Mature Christians are practiced in doing right, and they are not afraid of being observed. No believer should say, "Do as I say and not as I do." The apostle Paul had the right view when he said, "Follow me as I follow Christ" (1 Cor. 11:1).

Solomon often used the term son in speaking to his students. That is his use of the word here. Each instructed believer is a teacher for the less instructed around him. His life should be an open book approvable to God and man. Then he, too, can fearlessly say, "Observe my ways."

Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity 
(1 Tim. 4:12). 


For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you (John 13:15).

I am weakness, full of weakness,
At Thy sacred feet I bow;
Blest, divine, eternal Spirit,
Fill with pow'r, and fill me now.
----E. R. Stokes


Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)