Nov 6, 2011

I Love You, Lord

This is an excerpt from Beth Moore's book, A Heart Like His.

The Book of 2 Samuel is not the only place David's words of victory are found. Psalm 18 contains an almost identical  set of verses to those God placed in 2 Samuel 22. One of the exceptions is too precious to miss. Verse 1 of Psalm 18 simply declares, "I love you, O LORD, my strength."

"I love you, Lord." No demands. No despair. Just "I love you." The words might seem more fitting as the grand finale rather than the opening line. Their sudden appearance suggests they were words that could not wait. The psalmist considered his delivered state and his Father's stubborn love, and he burst forth with the words: "I love you, LORD."

The One who delivered David from his enemies was no distant deity. He was the object of the psalmist's deepest emotions, the One with whom he shared authentic relationship. David deeply loved God. David was a man after God's own heart because his desire was also the sheer pleasure of the Father. The Father's deepest desire is to be loved--genuinely loved--by His child.

If 2 Samuel 22 and Psalm 18 compel us to see one thing, it is that God is a personal God we each can call our own.

  • He is my strength when I am weak.
  • He is my rock when I am slipping.
  • He is my deliverer when I am trapped.
  • He is my fortress when I am crumbling.
  • He is my refuge when I am pursued.
  • He is my shield when I am exposed.
  • He is my Lord when life spins out of control.
A heart that makes Him its own--one that can state, "He is mine"--is a heart that cannot help but love. I love you, Lord.

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)