Jun 11, 2010

Just A Vapor

Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. (Ps. 39:4-6)(NKJV)


Some people claim to believe in God and the final judgment, but you would never know it by their lifestyle. They live like the devil, apparently with no concerns, because they say to themselves, "I'll come to God when I'm old and gray, or when I'm on my deathbed. I've got plenty of time to worry about spiritual things later." The devil himself is probably whispering those kind of ideas into their ears so that they won't hear the call of the Holy Spirit on their hearts, so that their heart will grow cold to the conviction of the Spirit in their life.

Jesus taught on covetousness in the parable of the rich fool found in Luke 12:13-21. This parable also touches on the uncertainty of life: And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry." But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' (Lk. 12:19-20)(NKJV)

The Bible warns us not to boast about what we're going to do in the future. Take a look at this passage from the book of James: Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. (Jms. 4:13-14)(NKJV) Compared with eternity, that's just what we're like. We're just a whiff of smoke, a ripple in the wind, a passing vapor. I wrote the song below many moons ago. It reminds us of how temporary this life is, and how important it is to be ready to stand before God.


Just A Vapor


(vs.1)Have you ever wondered why
your life seems like it's slipping by
There's something missing but you don't know what
You have your dreams but that's all that you've got
(vs.2)Some say life is tough and then you die
what ever happened to the abundant life
you have no clue but you try to forget
push it all aside but you still have regret
(chorus)'Cause your life is just a vapor
Days are just like passing shadows
Don't wait until tomorrow
to get ready to face the Lord
You're just a vapor
(vs.3)We forget until friends pass away
that our life is precious even today
You say tomorrow that you'll get it straight
but you're gonna find out tomorrow's too late
(repeat chorus)
(vs.4)Don't you boast about tomorrow
when you don't know what a day may bring forth
you can watch your plans amount to nothing
you can worship money but it's all in vain
(repeat chorus)


We forget until friends pass away
that our life is precious even today
you say tomorrow that you'll get it straight
but you're gonna find out tomorrow's too late
You're just a vapor
You're just a vapor


copyright 1990 Heart of Praise Music



So I encourage you to make sure that you're not waiting 'til sometime in the far-off future to settle spiritual things with the Almighty. Because you might not have as long as you think. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. So get right with the Lord today, and then you will have something to truly live for!

Singing His Praises,
Joey Culpepper

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)