Jan 7, 2010

A Fresh Start

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 Jn. 1:9)(NKJV)


Each January as the new year rolls around, people around the globe decide to try something new. They make resolutions to stop smoking, to start exercising or to go on yet another diet. They change their image with a new hairstyle and/or clothes in an effort to redefine their look. Some decide to change jobs or to go back to school. Others have a renewed interest in achieving some goal that they've put off or have failed at in the past. Many want to have a renewed or deepened relationship with the Lord, but sadly, they don't believe that it's possible because of some past failure on their part. They feel like they're not good enough to have a refreshed or restored relationship with God.

And you know, they're actually right about that point because there is no one who is righteous (Rom. 3:10-12; Ps. 53:1-3) and all of us have sinned and fallen short. (Rom. 3:23) But the good news is that we can be restored and refreshed...we can start anew, with a clean slate, if we will do what the Bible tells us to in 1 Jn. 1:9: confess our sins. When we confess our sin and repent, our faithful and just God will forgive us and purify us, cleansing us from all unrighteousness. It's as if He wipes our slate clean so that we can start over--start anew.

The Word states that God removes our transgressions from us as far as the east is from the west. (Ps. 103:12) That's a long way! I believe the reason the Bible states "as far as the east is from the west" instead of " the north from the south", is that we have a north and south pole on the planet. There's a finite distance from the north to the south. If you go north until you reach the pole and keep going, then you'll be going south again! But you can travel east or west forever!

A couple of weeks ago as I looked over the pastor's sermon outline about "New Commitments and Frest Starts", I was intrigued by a question he posed: "Are we truly wanting to start anew, or do we just want to revamp the old?"--That made me think, and through the inspiration of Bro. David's sermon God gave me a new song that I sang that Sun. morning. I'd like to share the lyrics with you here:


Fresh Start
Lord, You know my heart
how many times I've failed You
But if You'd give me another chance
I'd like to start anew
If I confess my sins You're faithful to forgive
and You will purify me from all unrighteousness


(chorus)I want to make a fresh start
I'm ready for a new commitment
To live my life in such a way
that I'm a true reflection
of Who You are and how You love
and that You really care
I want to make a fresh start
I don't want to revamp the old me
So take these eyes that have turned away
and lock their gaze straight on Thee
So I can see just Who You are
that I can know Your heart
I want to make a fresh start


Forgiveness floods my soul
I turn away from all my sin
The secret rooms deep inside my heart
You now dwell there within
Now I can live my life not looking to the past
For You have washed me clean
and now I'm whole at last
(repeat chorus)


I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad that God forgives and cleanses us when we confess our sin. Are you 'fessed up? Have you confessed to the Lord recently? I encourage you to confess any and all sin during your daily devotional or prayer time. Don't allow unconfessed sin to hinder or destroy your spiritual walk with God. Instead, enjoy a refreshed and/or restored relationship with your Faithful and Just Lord!

Joey C.

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)