Feb 16, 2009

Time for an Attitude Adjustment


Some time ago, I think it was the mid '80s, Hank Williams, Jr. had a hit song called "Attitude Adjustment". I can't remember how the tune went, but the lyrics were kinda funny---here's some of them:

She called the cops to take me in, and I said "You'll never do it, friend". And they just smiled and said "Oh yes we will!" Now sticks to the head and kicks to the shin and several bites by Rin Tin Tin and I couldn't wait to get into that jail. It was an attitude adjustment, Oh I went along peacefully, Attitude adjustment, they made me clearly see. So my head is black and my legs are blue and both knee caps are bit clean through...

Ouch! That's a painful attitude adjustment! You know all of us have had a bad attitude at some point, in one area or another. Some times we have a bad attitude towards worship. That attitude might result from an occasional problem, like a family quarrel on the way to church, which distracts your mind and inhibits you from really entering in to worship. Other times that attitude may be a lingering mind-set which, over an extended period of time, can adversely affect our relationship with God and with fellow Christians. We need an attitude adjustment so that we'll have the right mind-set to truly enter in to worship, understanding that God sees what's in our hearts and He knows our true motives.

I Sam. 16:7---The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apperance, but the Lord looks at the heart. (NIV)

Here's some of the right attitudes we should have for worship:





  • Thankfulness (Ps. 100:4)


  • Honesty (Jn. 4:23)


  • Loyalty (Ex. 20:26)


  • Wholeheartedness (Deut. 6:4-6, 1 Chron. 29:6-9)


  • Reverence (Heb. 12:28-29)


  • Joyfulness (Phil. 4:4, 1 Chron. 15:16)


  • Righteousness (Mal. 3:3)


  • Brokenness (Ps. 51:15-17)


  • Faith (1 Pet. 1:8-9)


  • Purity (2 Tim. 2:19-21)


  • Self-Giving (Rom. 12:1, Eph. 5:1)


  • Gratitude (Col. 3:17, Ps. 28:6-7)
So let's ask God to give us an attitude adjustment so that we may worship Him the right way: in spirit and in truth!
Joey C.

Psalm 122:1

I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." (HCSB)